Summer time is coming and what better time to take some extra steps for a little pampering before heading on vacation (mine starts in 2 days–yay!). So here are some summer beauty tips brought to you by the ladies at Lifetoolsforwomen.com (which is packed with tons of information from health to fashion & beauty to relationships). I definitely plan on trying out some of these before packing for the beach! (image from weheartit.com
Summer Beauty Tips
By Juliana Day
Summer is a great time for relaxation, recreation and renewal. If you’re like most of us, you probably take advantage of the longer days and warm weather to enjoy extra time with family and friends. While enjoying the hot, lazy days of summer, keep in mind that different beauty rules apply. Here are a few tips to keep you looking as good as you feel:
Summer Hair Care
If you spend lots of time outdoors and want to spice up your look naturally, try combing a little lemon juice through your hair. The sun will lighten those strands faster than your locks sans lemon, giving you an attractive sun-streaked look. It’s also easier on your budget than salon highlights.
- Be sure to deep condition your hair at least once a week, especially if you swim a lot. Hair tends to become dry, dull and brittle if it is soaked and dried too often.
- If you like to swim lengths, try spritzing on some leave-in conditioner under your swim cap to help ward off damage from chlorine and salt water.
Summer Skincare Tips
It may be hip to be tanned, and it does tend to camouflage a multitude of imperfections, but don’t deep-fry your skin for the sake of fashion. Your best bet is a high quality bronzer in a bottle. The Body Shop has a great all-natural formula. Just remember to use a facial scrub prior to application to slough off any dead skin cells. You may also want to use a pair of gloves, lest your palms turn orange!
If you spend lots of time outside, be sure to use sunscreen with minimum SPF 15. The cancer-preventing benefits are obvious, but protection is also a must for those of us who don’t want to look old before our time.
Make sure that you are adequately hydrated – at least 8 glasses of water a day and even more when you are outside.
If you do burn, apply Aloe Vera or lotions containing it. This will cool and soothe your skin and help you to heal faster. A personal trick is to apply cream containing zinc to my face at night. This is an effective way of healing my burn by the morning.
Nothing is more revolting than skin full of little red mosquito or bug bites, not to mention the new threat of West Nile Virus, so don’t forget the bug spray. You may want to try one of the new two-in-one sunscreen and insect repellants.
For a quick skin boost in the sun, fill a misting bottle with a little bit of toner and water, and spritz your face and body for a quick cool off. Just remember to close your eyes so you don’t risk burning them.
Summer Make-up Tips
- Take on summer with a fresh face forward – less is best! Accentuate your glowing skin by brushing on a light shimmering powder instead of a heavy foundation. You don’t want to appear like you are melting under the hot sun.
- Those of you who read my column know that I’m a big advocate of the powder bronzer. This is a great way to give yourself a pretty glow. I like to use a matte finish on my face and then a shimmer powder on my eyelids, above my cheekbones, and on my shoulders and collarbone.
- A hot look on a bronzed face is shiny lip gloss. The BEST is “Lip Glass” by MAC. It gives you ultra shine over lipstick (applied with a brush) or on its own. Plus, it stays put – a big bonus for die-hard lip gloss wearers!
Try a light shimmering eye shadow in beige just under your brow bone to draw attention to your eyes.
If you are wear mascara, try a waterproof. This way you will avoid “Raccoon Eyes” when you are perspiring or near water. Don’t forget the must-have partner, eye make-up remover, or else you really will end up with the dreaded dark circles!
My number one beauty booster tip is simple: relax…and summer is the perfect time to do it. Take time to sit back, relax and enjoy time with your friends and family.